Established in 1988 by David and Charlotte Caldwell, Mystic Hill Farms lies in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Culpeper County, Va. Mystic Hill is located near Brandy Station, an area named for a stagecoach stop that was famous for serving apple brandy. Likewise, the history of Mystic Hill is centuries old, having been settled in 1794 by the Payne family, who worked the land as Bleak Hill Farm until the 1930s.
After purchasing the farm, the Caldwells not only maintained the existing Arabian horse breeding operation, but they also increased the total farm acreage while developing a high quality Angus and a commercial cattle herd.
Today, Mystic Hill operates 2,200 acres of owned and leased land in and around the hallowed ground of the Brandy Station battlefields, home to some of the fiercest fighting in the Civil War. Additionally, they run about 1,000 head of both Angus and Braunvieh cattle.